Thursday, August 5, 2010

Volunteer

We have a volunteer sunflower at the pit. I walked all the way through this to get a photo of the flower face. Bearing in mind that when you walk through that, you have to be aware of what is under your next step (as in mice) as well as what is in the spot you are going to be flattening all that tall grass onto (as in wasps nests). Summer went ahead of me. I think she was worried because I don't normally go strolling through anything quite that tall or thick. When I got there, I saw that the middle stalk is absolutely FULL of buds that are going to open facing the yard any day now. Oh well, I came out alive so it was all worth it. I think I will encourage the seed to grow there and add some red hollyhock seed this fall. They would make a nice border between the field and the yard since they apparently grow anywhere, through anything.

2 comments:

  1. Well that's a bonus! Did you sow seeds here or are these coming from your garden waste from last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not planted. I use the pit for weeds that I do not want seeding in my compost so either they came from weed waste pulled from under the feeders or a bird gifted it to us from next door. Robins had sown sunflower in her top field last year so that is possible. The only sunflower I put in myself is the dwarf 'Double Dandy' which are coming up in the Combine Garden but not yet blooming.

    ReplyDelete