Friday, August 6, 2010

Jumping the Gun

It hasn't quite bloomed but I'm thrilled with the colour.  The problem is that I don't know what it is.  I mean, I know it's a phlox, but it's not Peppermint Twist.
It all started last summer when we had small shoots of 4 different phlox growing in pots: Peppermint Twist, Watermelon, Danielle and Starfire.  In the fall, we were finding places to plant them.  One of them didn't survive to get planted - I thought it was Starfire.  We also moved Nicki phlox from the front at the same time (which hadn't bloomed up to that point).
I'm beginning to think the problem happened with the popsicle sticks... and perhaps a little with my memory.  Could this possibly be Nicki?  Does that mean that what was supposed to be Nicki, and I thought was Orange Perfection, is actually Starfire?  Or... could what I thought was Watermelon be Starfire, and what I thought was Nicki be Watermelon?
And more importantly, how much hope do I have of keeping track of 27 dahlia this summer all marked with popsicle sticks?!

2 comments:

  1. This must be Nikki. Isn't that the only purple one you were expecting? Another winter project :)

    Leave the Dahlia to Kelly, he does a great job. I found Digby Blue. It fell behind the bench. Once I cleared the plants out from there, I saw the bag. It was complete - popsickle stick and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and... it's pretty whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete