Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bouncing Bet

I was excited to find this today eventhough it was smack in the middle of a huge patch of grass that is quite a bit taller than it. There is a big patch of it in there and once I dig it, I will be able to easily get rid of the grass around it. Judy gave me a division a couple of years ago and I made the mistake of planting it with the white Summer Phlox. I had thought that the white had overtaken it but happily, I was wrong. Judy got it given to her as 'Bouncing Bet'. The only 'Bouncing Bet' I have ever been able to find is a Soapwort and this almost fits the description as spreading groundcover with very fragrant phlox like flowers. I wouldn't have called it a groundcover and this is at least 2 ft. tall. Also, I don't think Soapwort overwinters here. Despite my pink problem in the sun garden, I am moving this out there. I might wait until it is done blooming though because it really is fragrant and the smell is wonderful. Since this is towards the bush from the 'Stella D'Oro', she might get deadheaded more often now.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely not soapwort. I can't place it at all but it sure is a pretty pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It grows the same way as the white Summer Phlox and flowers the same as well except the Bouncing Bet has bigger, prettier flowers; the fragrance is a lot stronger (which is surprising because the Phlox is pretty smelly) and it does not spread even half as fast as the Phlox. Would be good for your garden.

    ReplyDelete