Sunday, September 2, 2012

Feeding the Birds

Every year we get volunteer sunflowers growing in the bird sanctuary under and around the bird feeders. I pull them like weeds and throw them in the compost normally. This year, we decided to let some of them grow to see if we could get seed for the birds. There are 15 sunflowers out there now. Our season is not usually long enough to get sunflower seeds without a lot of frost protection work as the season gets later. I am not going to do any of that work. I am using a cross my fingers and fly by the seat of my pants strategy. Seeds are not that expensive and trying to harvest some was really just for a bit of fun. If I have to be out there covering flower heads with plastic in my nightgown, the fun just seems to drain out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment